Wilmington native wins Oscar for best short film
WILMINGTON, Del. - February 28, 2011 (WPVI) -- The state of Delaware had a moment in the Oscar spotlight as Wilmington native Luke Matheny won for best short film with his graduate thesis film from New York University.
Matheny directed and starred in the 19-minute film "God of Love."
On the Kodak Theater stage Sunday night, Matheny joked that he should have gotten a hair cut for the event. He bounded in front of the cameras with a curly mass of hair.
The 35-year-old thanked his NYU teachers, his parents and "the great state of Delaware" in his acceptance speech, among others. The Concord High School graduate also mentions his home state in his film.
oscars, wilmington, delaware, local/state
- Nelson Mandela dies at age 95 10 min ago
- Wet to Wintry 47 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Obama mourns death of icon Nelson Mandela 35 min ago
- Fmr. Marine's murder suspect held on $2M bail
- Photos: 21 suspects ID'd in Collingdale drug sweep
- Missing mom, baby from Newark, Del. found
- Sinkhole opens up on Northern Liberties street
- Christmas decoration theft caught on camera 59 min ago
- Pizza delivery man shot in Overbrook
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school