Pa. police cracking down on aggressive drivers
POTTSTOWN, Pa. - March 3, 2011 (WPVI) -- Aggressive driving is annoying and dangerous - and today, depending on where you were, it also cost you points on your driver's license and a hefty fine.
Six police departments in Bucks, Delaware and Montgomery counties have started ramping up efforts to crack down on aggressive drivers.
The effort is part of PennDOT's Aggressive Driving Enforcement Program. The $2.1 million campaign targets specific roadways with a history of crashes associated with aggressive driving.
Today on Route 100 in Pottstown, drivers were getting pulled over one after another.
"We have a very good view of Route 100 south," said Pottstown Police Captain Richard Drumheller. "You can see almost a mile up, so we watch the road and we also have a speed trap set up."
Some drivers we talked to today said the crackdown makes sense. Others, though, thought the police presence in Pottstown was excessive.
"In the afternoon at lunch hour, in the middle of the week, I think they might be poaching a little bit," said one driver who was ticketed.
Police are hoping that the tickets issued today in Pottstown, Lower Merion and other areas will be lessons learned for the drivers cited.
"Take your time," said Drumheller. "Drive sensibly and you'll arrive to your destination safe and sound."
The Aggressive Driving Enforcement Program continues through March 27th.
pennsylvania, bucks county, delaware county, montgomery county, driving, police, penndot, local/state, shirleen allicot
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University 22 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia 15 min ago
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death 27 min ago
- Delco police standoff ends, suspect dead
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila. fire station
- Officials: Feb. pileup on Pa. Turnpike exposed gaps 12 min ago
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course 1 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's...
27 min ago