Police cruiser struck by 2 cars; officer injured
SPRING GARDEN - March 6, 2011 (WPVI) -- A Philadelphia Police officer is on the mend after his parked patrol vehicle was struck inside of a churchyard in the city's Spring Garden section.
The 6th District officer was sitting in his car in the 900 block of Vine Street near Ridge Avenue when 2 other vehicles traveling at a high rate of speed lost control of their vehicles and crashed into the parking lot of the Holy Redeemer Chinese Catholic Church around 6:00 Sunday morning.
The impact of the crash forced both vehicles into the patrol car, injuring the officer and the driver of one of the vehicles.
Three male occupants of the other striking vehicle, including the driver, fled from the scene down Ridge Avenue on foot. Police immediately began a search of the area in an effort to find them.
The injured officer and injured driver were transported to Hahnemann Hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
accident, police, spring garden, philadelphia, pennsylvania, local/state
- Photos: LATEST MAPS: 6+" in parts of NJ
- Winter's Last Blast
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last words 3 min ago
- Video: Annie McCormick: Snow in Atlantic City
- Video: Katherine Scott: Snow in Delaware
- Video: Car spins out on I-95 in South Phila.
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- Photos: Suspects in Pa. 'street-level' drug sweep 20 min ago
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash