Bus rams Pa. accident scene, 1 killed
SCRANTON, Pa. (AP) - March 7, 2011 (WPVI) -- A tour bus struck a disabled car on an interstate highway during an ice storm in northeastern Pennsylvania, killing a man who was apparently standing next to the vehicle and injuring an unknown number of other people, officials said Monday.
The crash involving a Martz bus occurred after 11 p.m. Sunday along Interstate 380 in Clifton Township, near Scranton, Lackawanna County 911 Supervisor Michael Kelechowa said.
Kelechowa said there were multiple injuries, but the exact number and severity weren't known.
County Coroner Tim Rowland said the bus hit one of two cars that had apparently been involved in a minor collision and were stopped on the road during the storm. A 41-year-old man who authorities believe was standing outside the car was killed when the impact of the bus pushed the car into him, Rowland said.
"He happened to be standing in the wrong place at the wrong time," Rowland said.
The bus rolled onto its passenger side shortly after hitting the car.
Rowland said he would not release the man's name until after his family had been notified. An autopsy was scheduled for later Monday.
State police were investigating, but said they had no additional information.
pennsylvania, scranton, lackawanna county, accident, local/state
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video 17 min ago
- Wet to Wintry! 13 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line 32 min ago
- Moment of silence marks Boston bombings
- Hundreds rescued after ferry sinks near South Korea 26 min ago
- 20-month-old found safe, Amber Alert canceled 31 min ago
- High wings bring damage to Abington Twp. 34 min ago
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Woman delivers baby after church van crash
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Souderton student to sing at Carnegie Hall
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police