Bail hearing for defendant in NJ mob bust
NEWARK, N.J. - March 8, 2011 (WPVI) -- The man at the top of a New Jersey federal indictment that was part of a recent roundup of alleged Mafia members is due in court for a bail hearing Tuesday.
Stephen Depiro is the only one of 15 New Jersey defendants still in custody.
The 55-year-old Kenilworth resident has been described by prosecutors as a soldier in the Genovese crime family who ran a racketeering enterprise with specialties including extortion and illegal bookmaking.
Depiro has pleaded not guilty to racketeering, extortion, gambling and conspiracy related counts.
Depiro and many of the New Jersey defendants have connections to docks along the waterfront.
They were among more than 120 defendants arrested Jan. 20 and named in 16 indictments stemming from separate mob investigations in three states.
organized crime, new jersey, local/state
- 1 death reported in East Harlem building explosion 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Video: Raw video from scene of NYC explosion 3 min ago
- Screaming man attacks police station, cars 25 min ago
- Photos: Pictures of smashed police car, station...
- Homes evacuated in Tacony for gas leak
- Sandusky's wife: Victims manipulated over money
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar
- Carjacking suspect arrested after rush hour chase 59 min ago
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Raw video from scene of NYC explosion
3 min ago
- Triple shooting leaves 1 dead in West Oak...
41 min ago
- Family of 5 escapes house fire in New...
37 min ago