Local company helps you get your Irish on
AUDUBON, N.J. March 17, 2011 (WPVI) -- The old saying says everyone's a little Irish on St. Patrick's Day, but if you want to be MORE Irish, a gift shop in South Jersey has you covered, head to toe.
Ballyhugh Irish Imports was the dream of Clare McHugh.
Her husband was an insurance man, and no matter where business took them, she would find an Irish shop to browse.
When the youngest of their seven children was a senior in high school, the couple bought a building on White Horse Pike in Audubon, New Jersey and renovated it into the Irish store she'd always wanted.
From the start, it featured a variety of imported gifts, like linens, knit goods, china and candy. Music and video, too.
The business outgrew its retail space three times, now occupying the entire first floor of the building. Today, Ballyhugh offers a wide selection of gift and specialty items, most imported from Ireland.
There's a major shipment from the Emerald Isle four times a year, always by ship to hold down costs.
Urgent orders can be overnighted by request.
You'll always find a selection of items right for wedding and baby gifts. Irish expatriates appreciate finding food from home.
There are also whimsical items available, but the single biggest-selling product line is jewelry.
Irish pieces tend to be rich in symbolism and tradition. Most are crafted in silver, which keeps them affordable. Some have gold accents.
In Ireland, a woman might pass a wedding ring on to her eldest daughter, and some rings have been in families for centuries.
Ballyhugh strives to maintain an inventory of products worthy of that kind of heirloom status.
Not everything in the store is from Ireland but everything is of interest to the Irish and Irish-Americans.
They even book travel to Ireland.
The shop is at 235 White Horse Pike in Audubon, New Jersey, open Monday through Saturday from 10 to 5, and Thursday and Friday nights until 8. Sunday hours are 12:00 Noon to 4:00pm.
For more information, phone them at 856-546-0946, or go online to http://www.ballyhughirish.com
new jersey, st. patrick's day, shopping, local/state
- 2 dead after building explosion in New York City 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures from East Harlem explosion 36 min ago
- Video: Raw video from scene of NYC explosion 56 min ago
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars 5 min ago
- Montco 3rd grader hospitalized with meningitis infection 36 min ago
- Police ID man killed in shooting that led to standoff 8 min ago
- Pa. state senator charged with misuse of office 11 min ago
- Homes evacuated in Tacony for gas leak 29 min ago
- Sandusky's wife: Victims manipulated over money
- Co. carjacking suspect arrested after rush hour chase 11 min ago
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Raw video from scene of NYC explosion
56 min ago