University of Delaware apologizes for admissions mistake
NEWARK, Del. - March 16, 2011 (WPVI) -- The University of Delaware is apologizing for a mistake which led dozens of people to believe they were admitted to the university.
The school's admissions website mistakenly showed a "congratulations" message to 61 applicants who were waitlisted or denied admission, the university said in a statement.
"While this computer blunder did not affect a large number of students, it was very hard on those who were affected, and we have been expressing our apologies to them by phone and by email, " said Louis L. Hirsh, director of admissions.
The statement explains that, on March 11th, an admissions website included a link to a registration form for an upcoming event for admitted students. Access to this link was incorrectly available to all applicants for a brief period of time, and 61 students who were not admitted to UD viewed that link.
The access to this screen was disabled late Friday evening and the system was reactivated with corrected access on Saturday, March 12th, the school said.
The University of Delaware goes on to say that admissions decisions are sent through the U.S. Postal Service.
delaware, university of delaware, local/state
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard 36 min ago
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill 47 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County 56 min ago
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco 49 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge 51 min ago
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
47 min ago
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239...
36 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun...
51 min ago
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
56 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos