Mom charged with DUI after girl left at Del. gas station
NEW CASTLE - March 16, 2011 (WPVI) -- A mom is facing her fifth DUI and other charges after her 4-year-old was left at a Delaware gas station.
The girl was found at the Valero Gas Station in the 800 block of S. DuPont Highway in New Castle shortly after 11:30 a.m. on Wednesday.
Police say 28-year-old Jennifer Holmwood of the 200 block of Oak Acres Drive in Middletown stopped there to get gas.
Holmwood then allegedly took the girl to a portable bathroom outside the gas station, returned to her vehicle, then drove off leaving the girl behind.
A truck driver and frequent customer of the station saw the child alone and took her inside where she was picked up by police.
The girl was taken to Troop 9 and, while there, troopers were called to respond to Lorewood Grove Road and Ratledge Road in Middletown where Jennifer Holmwood's vehicle had become disabled.
A passing motorist stopped to assist Holmwood and, police say, Holmwood told that driver she could not find her daughter.
Jennifer Holmwood was arrested and charged with Reckless Endangering and a fifth offense of DUI.
The little girl was turned over to family members. She was not injured.
delaware, missing children, local/state
- Missing Philadelphia couple found safe
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain 27 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett to announce Vatican trip
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila.
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Video: Secret Oreo cookie recipe sold to China
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: Wedding of cop, teacher at Flower Show
- Video: Obama misspells "R-E-S-P-E-C-T" in Aretha... 9 min ago
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
27 min ago