Japan disaster has an affect on electronics in U.S.
March 18, 2011 (WPVI) -- Many people want to know how the disaster in Japan may have an effect on life in the U.S.
Apple's new iPad2 and Boeing's 787 Dreamliner are two products that may be impacted by supply chain disruptions from Japan.
About a third of the already delayed Boeing jet comes from Japanese suppliers. Flash memory and a super thin battery used in the new iPad come only from Japan.
Some tech plants are damaged, others can't get power. In the global market, Japanese parts can be used in electronics assembled in Korea, Mexico, anywhere.
"I know of at least 20 factories that are closed right now," said Robert Cole.
Robert Cole of Bob and Ron's World Wide Stereo doubts there will be immediate shortages because of existing inventories. But he thinks there could be shortages later in the year of items like some Blue Ray players that use a specific part from Japan.
"I would say in the fall we will feel an ouch," said Cole. "I think we will have a problem with blue rays which are popular right now."
Part sourcing in the auto industry is also complex. While Japanese manufacturers produce millions of cars here in the US, every year some critical parts in those cars still come from Japan.
Honda, Toyota and others have closed plants in Japan.
Subaru, which is in its third year of record sales, hopes to have Japanese production resume March 22d. Its Indiana plant has cut overtime due to parts supply worries.
At its Cherry Hill based US headquarters, Michael McHale say the company has about a 30 day supply of cars.
"Customers really shouldn't see a problem if the car is ordered. If it's on its way to you, it should still be on its way to you," said Michael McHale. "There are enough cars in the supply chain to run us through for a while yet."It is not just Japanese makers impacted. General Motors said it will halt production of a pick-up truck made in Louisiana because of a shortage of
parts from Japan.
japan, earthquake, general motors, toyota, local/state, john rawlins
- Video: Chris Sowers with storm update 14 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Storm causes multiple accidents, delays at airport 9 min ago
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps 57 min ago
- Photos: Images of Sunday's winter storm 12 min ago
- 6abc.com Flight Tracker
- Check local traffic on 6abc.com! 54 min ago
- Video: Eagles fan tailgate in the snow
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Police: Son of PHA employee charged with DUI
- Body found in Logan tire fire
- Susan Boyle says Asperger's diagnosis was a relief
- Snow walloping Philadelphia area
34 min ago