GSK surprises Nutter with $5M pledge
PHILADELPHIA - March 23, 2011 (WPVI) -- It was quite a surprise for Mayor Michael Nutter.
The CEO of GlaxoSmithKline made a surprise pledge of $5-million to the city.
Andrew Witty said he wanted the money to go to programs that would inspire the young people of the city.
Witty called on bidders for the money to come up with something new that gets Philadelphia residents excited.
Glaxo plans to build a new North American headquarters at the old Philadelphia Navy Yard.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, glaxosmithkline, mayor michael nutter, local/state
- Photos: 21 suspects ID'd in Collingdale drug sweep
- Foggy, cloudy, mild today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Missing mom, baby from Newark, Del. found
- Sinkhole opens up on Northern Liberties street 46 min ago
- Christmas decoration theft caught on camera
- No charges for FSU's Jameis Winston
- Pizza delivery man shot in Overbrook
- Missing Phila. boy hit by car in Upper Darby
- Chester Co. firefighters called to Md. pet shop fire
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school
- Attack in Center City caught on camera
- Video: Topless woman chases peeper from Kohl's