GSK surprises Nutter with $5M pledge
PHILADELPHIA - March 23, 2011 (WPVI) -- It was quite a surprise for Mayor Michael Nutter.
The CEO of GlaxoSmithKline made a surprise pledge of $5-million to the city.
Andrew Witty said he wanted the money to go to programs that would inspire the young people of the city.
Witty called on bidders for the money to come up with something new that gets Philadelphia residents excited.
Glaxo plans to build a new North American headquarters at the old Philadelphia Navy Yard.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, glaxosmithkline, mayor michael nutter, local/state
- Philly to Newark flight forced to make belly landing
- Cloudy And Cooler 18 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Man found shot and killed in Wynnefield
- 2 injured in head-on crash along MLK Drive
- Mother of 7-year-old hit-and-run victim speaks
- 1 winning Mega Millions ticket sold in New Jersey
- Police: Pa. woman served family poison laced burritos
- Wife hid murdered husband, prosecutors say
- Connecticut commuter trains collide; 70 hospitalized
- Driver, passenger hurt in Cheltenham Township crash
- Woman critically injured in Radnor Township house fire
- Dozens of home remedies right in your kitchen
- Cloudy And Cooler
18 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos