GSK surprises Nutter with $5M pledge
PHILADELPHIA - March 23, 2011 (WPVI) -- It was quite a surprise for Mayor Michael Nutter.
The CEO of GlaxoSmithKline made a surprise pledge of $5-million to the city.
Andrew Witty said he wanted the money to go to programs that would inspire the young people of the city.
Witty called on bidders for the money to come up with something new that gets Philadelphia residents excited.
Glaxo plans to build a new North American headquarters at the old Philadelphia Navy Yard.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, glaxosmithkline, mayor michael nutter, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Sunny and chilly
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in North Philadelphia 36 min ago
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ