Local restaurant tries "Farm to Table" dining
PHILADELPHIA, Pa.- March 29, 2011 (WPVI) -- Any chef will tell you there's nothing like fresh, local ingredients, but Josh Lawler wants more.
Lawler just opened Farm and Fisherman, a farm-to-table restaurant in Center City.
His goal is to purchase fresh, local organic foods direct from farmers and other producers, then present that to diners the best way he can.
He's already signed up a local farm to raise a hybrid tomato he likes. Almost no other local restaurant serves it.
Lawler and his wife also have relationships with meat producers, so, for example, they can know how pigs are raised, what they eat, etc.
And they're getting to know the fishermen whose home port is in nearby Cape May.
Farm-to-table creates one-of-a-kind dining experiences, partly because the chef defines the sort of food that will be served, and partly because the suppliers are always sending only the best of what they have, different each day.
In effect, you're placing yourself in the hands of the chef and the food producers. But you're likely to get an unforgettable dinner.
Farm and Fisherman seats just 30 people and has no liquor license.
You're welcome to bring your own.
It's at 1120 Pine Street, in the heart of the city's antiques district.
For more information, phone them at 267-687-1555, or go to their website,http://thefarmandfisherman.com
philadelphia, pennsylvania, farming, food, local/state
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator 54 min ago
- AccuWeather: Tracking light snow tonight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- 2 men, sitting in SUV, shot in Chester 51 min ago
- Van crash leaves 2 men trapped in Center City
- Victim critical after stabbing in Frankford 52 min ago
- 2 women injured in Overbrook fire 55 min ago
- Crimea votes on Ukraine secession 11 min ago
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight...
54 min ago