Hero firefighters deliver baby in Wildwood
WILDWOOD, NJ - March 30, 2011 (WPVI) -- A pair of Wildwood firefighters had a reunion Wednesday with a grateful mom and dad, and the baby they helped bring into the world.
"Just another day, just another job."
That's the humble take from two first responders on the final stretch of a 14-hour shift. At 4:00 am on February 27th, Wildwood Firefighters Ron Harwood and Walt Belles answered this call:
"When we arrived on scene the police said the lady was in full term labor delivering the baby," said Harwood.
Together they helped bring little Charlotte into the world, four days early.
"We had gone to the hospital earlier that morning because I was having pains. The doctor said, 'Go home, we will see you on Tuesday for your appointment,'" said mom Elizabeth Joerger.
Surprise! Contractions woke up Joerger, who thought she had time to spare since her labor with 3-year-old Isabelle had been seven hours long.
"She was out by 4:16 am and it was less than 20 minutes. It was amazing," said Joerger.
"Thank you, again," she said, hugging each firefighter.
Today Joerger and dad Mark Zinkewich presented the two delivery men with signature pink stork pins at the Wildwood Fire Department.
"I really want to thank them. It was a really scary experience, you know?" said Zinkewich.
As it turns out, this was not the first delivery for the first responders.
"This is my second time delivering a baby and it came out beautiful and healthy," said Belles.
Belles and Harwood posed for a quick family photo before getting back to work, ready to answer whatever call they might get next, and never knowing when it might be another one from the stork.
"I feel great," said Belles. "This is what we are here to do."
new jersey, childbirth, cape may county, wildwood, local/state, alicia vitarelli
- Target confirms breach; up to 40M affected 29 min ago
- Turning Milder
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Man dies in fast-moving blaze in New Castle Co. 4 min ago
- Police search for suspects in religious store robbery
- Jewelry thieves target Montgomery Co. open houses
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera 9 min ago
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
- Video: Christmas tree comes to life in school prank 25 min ago
- Target confirms breach; up to 40M affected
29 min ago
- Man dies in fast-moving blaze in New Castle...
4 min ago
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught...
9 min ago