Southwest grounding extends Disney vacation
MEDFORD, NJ - April 4, 2011 (WPVI) -- An unexpected delay of their return flight drew few complaints from Medford, NJ high school students stranded in Florida.
"Umm, we're a little jealous," said Shawnee High School senior Sarah Rhamy.
She is talking about the fifty classmates and a dozen teachers who are spending an extra day at Walt Disney World in Florida because their Southwest Airlines return flight was cancelled Sunday.
"I think they have a good handle on it. I mean they're checking every plane. It kind of made me happy they delayed his flight to check the plane," said parent Jack McElvarr.
But McElvarr isn't feeling too sorry for his son Andrew, who is one of the students stuck in Florida, and who spoke to us by phone.
"At first I was a little disappointed. I was ready to go home," said Andrew McElvarr. "We're tired. We've been running around, a lot of sun. But now it's a beautiful day. I'm happy to be here."
Shawnee seniors made the trip to Florida Wednesday. Two flights on other airlines brought most of them home yesterday. But Flight 3 on Southwest wasn't going anywhere.
"They all volunteered to take their spots, so that was the thing. They were all trying to wheel and deal to try to get back to Flight 3," said Shawnee principal Matt Campbell.
You can understand why! We received pictures from the stranded students Monday, all of them sporting shorts, sunglasses and big smiles. They are apparently coping the best they can with the delay in their travel plans!
"Yeah, that was me yesterday. But not today! No, I had to be in school today," said Sarah Rhamy when she saw the pictures.
Students and teachers "stuck" in Florida are booked on a 7:00 a.m. flight Tuesday morning, no doubt glad for an extra day of sunshine in Florida and one less day of school.
new jersey, air travel, education, vacations, burlington county, florida, orlando, disney, southwest airlines, local/state, nora muchanic
- 4 charged with murder in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia
- Police investigate truck accident on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Police investigate double shooting in Mantua
- 3 rescued after car plunges into Delaware pond
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish