New business rising for Night Kitchen Bakery
CHESTNUT HILL, Pa. - April 14, 2011 (WPVI) -- When you're a legend in your neighborhood for something, can you add something else and spread the success? The owners of Night Kitchen in Chestnut Hill are betting on it.
After years as a successful bakery, they recently acquired the building next door and began serving entrees, mainly lunch-style dishes.
Owner/chef Amy Edelman says the new food coordinates well with their well-known baked goods.
She and her husband, also a chef, designed a menu of lighter fare built on ingredients as fresh, local and organic as possible.
An egg strata features bacon from nearby New Jersey. A fruit and yogurt parfait will emphasize what's in season. And a grilled portobello mushroom sandwich comes with goat cheese artisanal produced in Lancaster County.
Diners have been enthusiastic thus far.
Night Kitchen has not changed its bakery, where decorators apply their art to custom cakes with just a few days notice.
They generally work in the front widow, drawing an audience. But if you're in the café next door, you can still enjoy the "show" on a widescreen television set up for the purpose.
Night Kitchen strives to be "green", too. They offer no plastic bags. They compost all their food scraps. They recycle, and they're certified by the Green Restaurant Association.
Night Kitchen is at 7725 Germantown Avenue in Chestnut Hill, open seven days. Hours at 7:00am to 7:00pm weekdays, 8:00am to 6:00pm Saturdays, and 8:00am to 3:00pm Sundays.
The bakery side always maintains a selection of pastries and breads, but if you want a custom-design cake, they can accommodate you with five to seven days notice, far less than some nationally-famous competitors.
For more information, phone 215-248-9235, or go to their website, http://www.nightkitchenbakery.com
food, chestnut hill, philadelphia, pennsylvania, local/state
- Robbery suspect sought, Villanova U. locked down 13 min ago
- Splendid spring finale
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Pregnant woman, 2 others shot in N. Phila. 25 min ago
- Viewer takes photos of bear in back yard 1 min ago
- Suspect shot by police in Carneys Point ID'd 43 min ago
- Men's Wearhouse ousts founder, pitchman Zimmer 4 min ago
- 20 people charged in Ocean Co. heroin raids 6 min ago
- 15 charged in NJ unemployment fraud case
- Father, son 'pimps' acquitted after prostitutes testify
- Suspect robs Philadelphia Dunkin' Donuts at gunpoint
- Deen says she used slur but doesn't tolerate hate
- AMA declares obesity a disease [POLL] 8 min ago
- 20 people charged in Ocean Co. heroin raids
6 min ago
- 2 sought for stealing pills in Gloucester...
5 min ago
- Men's Wearhouse ousts founder, pitchman...
4 min ago
- AMA declares obesity a disease [POLL]
8 min ago