Delaware Co. couple seeks return of missing pig
RIDLEY TWP., Pa. - April 8, 2011 (WPVI) -- In Delaware County, one family's missing pet pig is at the center of a bureaucratic battle.
There are really two questions here. The first, is a pig a pet? Apparently, in Ridley Township, the answer, according to code, is no. And the second question, where is Steve?
Steve is a 10 week old potbelly pig. Not your average house pet, but according to Brian Maguire and Bernadette Broadhurst, that pig was part of the family.
"And he's been great," says Brian Maguire. "He's an awesome animal; one of the best. Way better than dogs."
And he should know. Brian already has two dogs, with which Steve apparently gets along quite well.
Pictures are all Brian has left of his pet pig.
"Well I came out Thursday morning to feed him, and he wasn't there and I couldn't find him," explained Brian.
Turns out, Steve had gotten loose Wednesday night, and someone, perhaps bewildered at a swine sighting, called 911.
When police came, they took Steve into custody overnight. The next morning, Brian and Bernadette called police, who informed them that they had Steve.
"But the code said that I'm not allowed to have a farm animal, and he's a farm animal. So I said okay, I will locate him to a new home," Brian said.
So, Brian set about finding a new place for the pig, and called police back Friday morning.
"They said they sent him to a farm and don't worry where it is. You can't have him," said Brian.
The township took it upon themselves to send Steve elsewhere, and wouldn't tell Brian or Bernadette where, even though they bought him at a pet store, and never intended to use the pig for profit, or for food, as code defines farm animals.
Township officials told Action News that his new home is a farm in Reading. But that was all.
"I said that's my pet. I want to find him a home and make sure he's alright. If I can't have him, I want to make sure he's somewhere he's alright. It shouldn't be your executive decision to move somebody else's property,"
delaware county, local/state, brian taff
- Actor James Gandolfini dies at 51
- Splendid spring finale
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Boy, 6, hit by car in East Oak Lane
- Villanova lockdown over, all suspects in custody
- Pregnant woman, 2 others shot in N. Phila.
- Back yard bear prompts photos, videos
- Men's Wearhouse ousts founder, pitchman Zimmer
- 20 people charged in Ocean Co. heroin raids
- 15 charged in NJ unemployment fraud case
- AMA declares obesity a disease [POLL]
- Video: Phila. choir shares stage with Rolling Stones
- Desmond's slam leads Nats over Phillies