Pregnant woman struck, killed by motorcycle ID'd
NORTHEAST PHILADELPHIA - April 12, 2011 (WPVI) -- A pregnant woman and her unborn baby have died after being struck by a motorcycle in Northeast Philadelphia.
The woman killed was 28-year-old Giselle Moya of the 2200 block of Faunce Street in Philadelphia.
She was the mother of a 5-year-old boy and was eight months pregnant.
"She was nice," said her father, Eduardo Moya. "A nice, nice girl."
The accident occurred in the northbound inner lanes of Roosevelt Boulevard at Lexington Avenue around 9:45 p.m. Monday.
Police say Moya was hit by a motorcycle driven by a 25-year-old man, whose name has not been released.
Moya was rushed by medics to Albert Einstein Medical Center. According to authorities, Moya and her unborn baby were pronounced dead at the hospital at 10:18 p.m.
The cyclist was rushed to Aria Hospital's Torresdale Division and was last reported in serious but stable condition.
Police say they do not yet know if charges will be filed or if this was merely a tragic accident.
There's no traffic light in the area where Moya was hit, but there is a crosswalk.
However, police have not yet said if Moya was using the crosswalk at the time of the crash.
The accident happened just a few blocks from Moya's home.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, northeast philadelphia, accident, pedestrian struck, motorcycles, local/state
- 51 confirmed dead in Oklahoma tornado
- Soupy Situation
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Center City high rise evacuated due to fire
- 15 motorcyclists arrested following NJ chase ID'd
- New sighting reported of missing student's car
- Cherry Hill East student injured in crash
- Man convicted of murder in Pa. musician's slaying
- Police: Driver under influence crashes into fire dept.
- Surveillance video released in food vendor murder
- Appoquinimink teacher arrested for indecent exposure
- Bucks County bear now spotted in Bristol Twp.
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr