Pregnant woman struck, killed by motorcycle ID'd
NORTHEAST PHILADELPHIA - April 12, 2011 (WPVI) -- A pregnant woman and her unborn baby have died after being struck by a motorcycle in Northeast Philadelphia.
The woman killed was 28-year-old Giselle Moya of the 2200 block of Faunce Street in Philadelphia.
She was the mother of a 5-year-old boy and was eight months pregnant.
"She was nice," said her father, Eduardo Moya. "A nice, nice girl."
The accident occurred in the northbound inner lanes of Roosevelt Boulevard at Lexington Avenue around 9:45 p.m. Monday.
Police say Moya was hit by a motorcycle driven by a 25-year-old man, whose name has not been released.
Moya was rushed by medics to Albert Einstein Medical Center. According to authorities, Moya and her unborn baby were pronounced dead at the hospital at 10:18 p.m.
The cyclist was rushed to Aria Hospital's Torresdale Division and was last reported in serious but stable condition.
Police say they do not yet know if charges will be filed or if this was merely a tragic accident.
There's no traffic light in the area where Moya was hit, but there is a crosswalk.
However, police have not yet said if Moya was using the crosswalk at the time of the crash.
The accident happened just a few blocks from Moya's home.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, northeast philadelphia, accident, pedestrian struck, motorcycles, local/state
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- New video shows deadly Asiana jet crash 35 min ago
- Woman killed in Germantown was Villanova prof.
- Parts of Christiana Mall lose power 39 min ago
- On video: Robber dives thru window, attacks clerk
- Camden man accused of robbing 5 banks in 1 month 21 min ago
- Pa. girl, 18, survives bear attack
- Women sentenced in murder of Danny DeGennaro 44 min ago
- Mega Millions jackpot climbs; $1M ticket sold in NJ
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial
- Bedbug fighter recalled over fire hazard 14 min ago