South Street's Easter Promenade
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - April 19, 2011 (WPVI) -- Maybe your Easter tradition includes a special worship service, or candy for the kids, or dressing up to welcome spring.
If you enjoy the dressy side of the holiday, or if you just love a parade, you'll want to hit South Street Sunday afternoon.
The 80th annual Easter Promenade steps off at 1 p.m. rain or shine off from the corner of South and Passyunk - that's near 5th Street. Participation in the event is free, and could win you a prize.
The South Street Headhouse District has been working overtime to make theirs event the biggest, best and maybe the most lucrative ever for participants.
Advance work started early, sending a person-sized Easter Bunny all over town, handing out promotional literature and posing for pictures. People were encouraged to pose with the bunny and post their photos on Facebook or Twitter. If you meet the Bunny, there's still time to enter.
Some lucky friends of the Bunny are going to win meals and other prizes from participating South Street Head Houser District merchants. Come Sunday on Headhouse Square, judges will select the best individual, the best family, and even the best pet, with more prizes to be won.
For 2011, it's easier than ever to learn all about the promenade and what you might win. Just visit their brand-new website, http://www.southstreet.com. Believe it or not, the South Street Headhouse District is already hard at work planning next year's promenade. They expect success this year and even more in 2012.
pennsylvania, philadelphia, easter, holidays, local/state
- Philly to Newark flight forced to make belly landing
- Shower In Spots 6 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Former Philadelphia hero cop faces rape charges 17 min ago
- Toddler falls from 2-story window in Point Breeze 56 min ago
- Witnesses: Car drives into crowd at Virginia parade
- Man found shot and killed in Wynnefield
- FBI searches apartment in ricin letter case
- Suspect identified in fatal Hofstra home invasion
- Mother of 7-year-old hit-and-run victim speaks
- 1 winning Mega Millions ticket sold in New Jersey
- Police: Boy, 6, kicked by pony on Lancaster Co. farm dies
- Connecticut commuter trains collide; 70 hospitalized
- Shower In Spots
6 min ago