Berks Co. school supt. dies on school trip
OLEY TWP., Pa. - April 20, 2011 (WPVI) -- A school administrator from Pennsylvania is dead after being stricken while chaperoning a student trip to Europe.
Oley Valley School District officials tell the Reading Eagle that Superintendent Jeffrey Zackon collapsed Wednesday during a visit to a castle in Switzerland.
The district says Zackon collapsed around 6 a.m. Eastern time, shortly before noon in Switzerland. He was escorting a class trip for German language students.
Assistant Superintendent Tracy Shank says Zackon experienced shortness of breath and collapsed after sitting down. She says Zackon's wife was also on the trip, which was to end Thursday.
Shank says the 62-year-old Zackon lived for the district. He was an Oley Valley High School graduate and was the school's principal before assuming the superintendent's job in 1995.
berks county, pennsylvania, education, school, heart health, local/state
- Arctic Blast and Possible Weekend Storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- PennDOT clears roads of snow, preps for ice
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Police search for burglar targeting Philly restaurants
- Police: Mom was DUI in chain-reaction crash
- Possible abduction caught on camera in Spring Garden
- No bail for 2 charged in Philly collapse
- Obama hails Mandela as "last great liberator"
- $344M Mega Millions numbers drawn
- 6 missing adults, children found alive in Nevada
- Photos: Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013 (Photos)