Berks Co. school supt. dies on school trip
OLEY TWP., Pa. - April 20, 2011 (WPVI) -- A school administrator from Pennsylvania is dead after being stricken while chaperoning a student trip to Europe.
Oley Valley School District officials tell the Reading Eagle that Superintendent Jeffrey Zackon collapsed Wednesday during a visit to a castle in Switzerland.
The district says Zackon collapsed around 6 a.m. Eastern time, shortly before noon in Switzerland. He was escorting a class trip for German language students.
Assistant Superintendent Tracy Shank says Zackon experienced shortness of breath and collapsed after sitting down. She says Zackon's wife was also on the trip, which was to end Thursday.
Shank says the 62-year-old Zackon lived for the district. He was an Oley Valley High School graduate and was the school's principal before assuming the superintendent's job in 1995.
berks county, pennsylvania, education, school, heart health, local/state
- Photos: Pictures from Thursday's wind damage
- Windy and cold today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Saints will trade Sproles to Eagles; Birds sign Carroll
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival
- Photos: Pictures from the SXSW festival crash
- Malaysia: No debris in area shown on China images
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion 16 min ago
- High winds cause damage across the region 31 min ago
- Christie talks taxes at town hall meeting
- Police: Delco 2nd grade teacher groped 2 girls
- Rescue crews pull woman from Schuylkill River
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad 26 min ago
- Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad
26 min ago
- High winds cause damage across the region
31 min ago
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
16 min ago