N.J. Ridgeback put down after repeated attacks
HADDONFIELD, N.J. - April 29, 2011 (WPVI) -- A child has been attacked by a dog in Haddonfield, and it wasn't the 1st time this Rhodesian Ridgeback struck.
At the home of Dr. Robert Taffet and family, the warning signs tell some of the story. Duke, one of the Taffet's prized Rhodesian ridgebacks, was set to be destroyed Friday. It was a legal mandate resulting from his latest attack on a child. It had happened before.
As in an earlier case, the victim was the friend of one of the Taffets' younger children. In the first case, the dog was found to have bitten off the ear of Dennis McVeigh's 3-year-old daughter when she visited Taffet's Salem County goat farm.
The McVeigh's went to court to have Duke declared potentially dangerous. That didn't happen, and McVeigh spoke with Action News at the time: "It's difficult to hear a 4-year-old talk about being in pain when she yawns, when she sneezes. So, we're disappointed. And we really just don't want to see this happen again," said Dennis McVeigh.However the latest incident vaulted Duke to the "vicious" category in the eyes of the law.
The Taffets have owned several ridgebacks. It is a species originally bred in Africa for lion hunting. Haddonfield's police chief says the other Rhodesians have been accused of attacking others in the neighborhood, including a doctor whose arm was chewed.
Late Friday, the Haddonfield Police Chief John Banning confirmed that Duke was been put down. Perhaps tensions will recede now in that neighborhood on this quiet town's south side.
new jersey, salem county, animals, animal attacks, local/state, vernon odom
- Cold today, Saturday looks snowy 56 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Police shoot at suspected carjacker in SW Philly 16 min ago
- Driver crashes into police cruiser in Wilmington 18 min ago
- OSHA investigates lead exposure at Oxford Mills
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Woman admits to stealing packages from Delco homes
- Video: Flyers fans receive greatest Christmas gift
- Cold today, Saturday looks snowy
56 min ago
- Police shoot at suspected carjacker in SW...
16 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos