Another court rules against Carl Lewis' senate run
TRENTON, N.J. - May 2, 2011 (WPVI) -- Another court has ruled that Olympic great Carl Lewis isn't eligible to run for the New Jersey state senate.
The Willingboro native declared last month that he was seeking the 8th District state Senate seat as a Democrat.
But three judges on a state appeals court ruled Monday that Lt. Gov. Kim Guadagno - who serves as New Jersey's secretary of state - was right to keep Lewis off the ballot because he doesn't meet a residency requirement.
Last week, a federal judge found that the 4-year residency requirement is constitutional. Lewis has appealed that decision to a higher federal court.
carl lewis, new jersey, local/state
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash 59 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Shooting leads to police standoff in Logan 22 min ago
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death 38 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death 43 min ago
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church 49 min ago
- Delco police standoff ends, suspect dead
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila. fire station 58 min ago
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to...
38 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's...
43 min ago
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila....
58 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
59 min ago