More than 20 dogs seized from Chester Co. home
WEST CALN TWP., Pa. - May 3, 2011 (WPVI) -- In Chester County, the SPCA rushed to the scene of an alleged case of animal hoarding.
The raid took place Tuesday afternoon on the 400 block of South Bonsall Road in West Caln Township.
One by one, Yorkies, Chihuahuas and Dachshunds were brought out of the home.
Investigators say the homeowner, Wynne Byers, was hoarding 29 animals, 24 dogs and five cats.
"They're everything to me, I don't know why they're taking them away from me," Byers said.
As Animal Control Officers took them away, Byers kissed her pets goodbye.
She claims she's done nothing wrong, but the county's Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals says the dogs and cats are in bad shape.
SPCA officials say the pets were malnourished and were living in small cages surrounded by deplorable conditions.
"They were in small cages in one room, there's flea infestation, they're very thin, there's matting; it's not a great situation," Rich Britton of the Chester County SPCA said.
Byers says her personal records will show she's been taking care of her pets.
In the past 20 years, she says, she's had 50 animals.
She writes down their birthdates, information about their doctor visits and when they're suppose to have medicine.
"Everyone who knows me knows how much I love these dogs and take care of them, old and frail, I can't do nothing about, my vet tells me I kept them alive longer than a lot of people would have kept dogs alive," Byers said.
The SPCA says Byers will most likely be charged with animal cruelty and operating an illegal kennel.
"The officers are professionals, it breaks their hearts to see these poor animals that don't have a voice, sitting here, stuck in a room; we're just thrilled to be able to get them out of here," Britton said.
As Byers cried on her porch, she vowed to get her pets back because she says she simply just can't live without them.
"They're my life, they're all I have," Byers said.
The case remains under investigation.
pennsylvania, chester county, animals, local/state
- Former Philadelphia hero cop faces rape charges
- Shower In Spots
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Philly to Newark flight forced to make belly landing
- Child falls from 2-story window in Point Breeze
- Up to 60 injured after car drives into Va. parade 9 min ago
- Man found shot and killed in Wynnefield
- FBI searches apartment in ricin letter case
- Suspect identified in fatal Hofstra home invasion
- Mother of 7-year-old hit-and-run victim speaks
- 1 winning Mega Millions ticket sold in New Jersey
- Police: Boy, 6, kicked by pony on Lancaster Co. farm dies
- Connecticut commuter trains collide; 70 hospitalized