Pitman SWAT incident ends, suicide suspected
PITMAN, N.J. - May 5, 2011 (WPVI) -- Police say a man is dead from an apparent suicide that prompted a SWAT standoff across the street from a school in Pitman, Gloucester County on Thursday morning.
SWAT was activated shortly after 6:00 a.m. when police received a call about the man, who had allegedly indicated that he wanted to harm himself.
A female companion of the man told police that she heard what she thought was a gunshot, prompting her to alert authorities.
Police arrived on scene and, not knowing if the man was still alive and armed, set up a perimeter and evacuated nearby homes.
Then, around 10:00 a.m., the SWAT team said it was able to confirm the man was dead. They say a weapon was on the floor near the man's body.
The man who was found dead was not identified.
Classes have been canceled for the day at nearby Pitman Middle School.
new jersey, gloucester county, standoff, local/state
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila. Airport 5 min ago
- Milder this afternoon 4 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Drunk driving suspected in Center City crash 24 min ago
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications
- Missing plane sent signals to satellite for hours
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila....
5 min ago