Volunteers continue search for Sarah Townsend
BURLINGTON TWP., N.J. - May 11, 2011 (WPVI) -- A group of volunteers gathered at a Burlington County pond on Wednesday to continue the search for 18-year-old Sarah Townsend.
The high school senior has been missing since Monday morning.
"Hopefully we can find something the police overlooked and it can bring her back home," said search organizer Amanda Zelauskas.
Earlier in the day a bloodhound named 'Rocko' was brought to the spot near Sherman's Pond in Burlington Township where Sarah's car was found Monday.
Meanwhile, police say they are interviewing friends and family and searching the girl's cell phone and computer records.
They're also following up on dozens of tips.
"We assume that she is a missing person, that she's alive and well and she's somewhere and we are going to find her," said Lt. Rich Sweeney of the Burlington Township Police Department.
Police say they have not uncovered any major difficulties Sarah was having that would have driven her to disappear, but they do say she was insecure about her relationship with her boyfriend Matt Welsh.
Welsh appeared with Sarah's parents on Tuesday when they announced a $10,000 reward for her safe return.
"She felt her relationship with him was more 'her' than 'him,'" Lt. Sweeney said.
Sarah Townsend's relatives have begun a Facebook page dedicated to finding her with pictures of the girl and all the latest updates. It has almost 6000 people signed up.
"Just doing what we can to get her face out there and bring our baby home," said relative Colleen Makovicz.
At Debbie's snack shop in Florence, where Sarah used to work, there are missing posters up, collection jars for the cause and plans for a vigil every night here at 10:00 until she's found.
"We can gather and we can just pray together every night," said snack shop owner Debbie Partyka. "Where could she be, you know? It's just not like her."
Townsend, who is about 5'4 and weighs about 105 pounds, was last seen by her parents when she left for school at 7:00 a.m. Monday.
Anyone with information about Sarah Townsend is asked to contact Burlington Township Police at 609-386-2019.
new jersey, burlington county, missing person, local/state
- Bicyclist impaled on fence in Fairmount Park 15 min ago
- Another Beauty
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Actor James Gandolfini dies at 51
- Shots fired at man sitting on steps in Point Breeze 26 min ago
- Water main break buckles road in South Philly 42 min ago
- Boy, 6, hit by car in East Oak Lane
- Villanova lockdown over, all suspects in custody
- Pregnant woman, 2 others shot in N. Phila.
- Back yard bear prompts photos, videos
- 20 people charged in Ocean Co. heroin raids
- 15 charged in NJ unemployment fraud case
- Video: Phila. choir shares stage with Rolling Stones
- Bicyclist impaled on fence in Fairmount Park
15 min ago