Volunteers continue search for Sarah Townsend
BURLINGTON TWP., N.J. - May 11, 2011 (WPVI) -- A group of volunteers gathered at a Burlington County pond on Wednesday to continue the search for 18-year-old Sarah Townsend.
The high school senior has been missing since Monday morning.
"Hopefully we can find something the police overlooked and it can bring her back home," said search organizer Amanda Zelauskas.
Earlier in the day a bloodhound named 'Rocko' was brought to the spot near Sherman's Pond in Burlington Township where Sarah's car was found Monday.
Meanwhile, police say they are interviewing friends and family and searching the girl's cell phone and computer records.
They're also following up on dozens of tips.
"We assume that she is a missing person, that she's alive and well and she's somewhere and we are going to find her," said Lt. Rich Sweeney of the Burlington Township Police Department.
Police say they have not uncovered any major difficulties Sarah was having that would have driven her to disappear, but they do say she was insecure about her relationship with her boyfriend Matt Welsh.
Welsh appeared with Sarah's parents on Tuesday when they announced a $10,000 reward for her safe return.
"She felt her relationship with him was more 'her' than 'him,'" Lt. Sweeney said.
Sarah Townsend's relatives have begun a Facebook page dedicated to finding her with pictures of the girl and all the latest updates. It has almost 6000 people signed up.
"Just doing what we can to get her face out there and bring our baby home," said relative Colleen Makovicz.
At Debbie's snack shop in Florence, where Sarah used to work, there are missing posters up, collection jars for the cause and plans for a vigil every night here at 10:00 until she's found.
"We can gather and we can just pray together every night," said snack shop owner Debbie Partyka. "Where could she be, you know? It's just not like her."
Townsend, who is about 5'4 and weighs about 105 pounds, was last seen by her parents when she left for school at 7:00 a.m. Monday.
Anyone with information about Sarah Townsend is asked to contact Burlington Township Police at 609-386-2019.
new jersey, burlington county, missing person, local/state
- Target confirms breach; up to 40M affected
- Turning Milder
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Man dies in fast-moving blaze in Talleyville
- Police search for suspects in religious store robbery
- Jewelry thieves target Montgomery Co. open houses
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera 10 min ago
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
- Video: Christmas tree comes to life in school prank
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught...
10 min ago