Toddler dies after falling into grease pit
VINELAND, N.J. - May 17, 2011 (WPVI) -- Police in Vineland, New Jersey are investigating the bizarre death of a 3-year-old boy who drowned in a large grease pit.
At 2:09 p.m., Vineland police received a call which reported a possible toddler having fallen into a hole.
Police say Jordy Marmolejo was playing behind his father's business, Cidra's Supermarket on 7th street, when he fell through a manhole.
Emergency crews found him in a large tank filled with hundreds of gallons of old cooking oil.
The child was soon retrieved from the open pit. Officials say he was in severe medical distress upon extrication from the pit.
Police say the pit appeared to hold kitchen grease, fryer oil, and other kitchen debris from the restaurant.
Jordy was rushed to Regional Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.
His family says the young boy would have turned four this month.
The Vineland Police Department Criminal Division and Crime Scene Unit are investigating along with the Cumberland County Prosecutors office.
new jersey, vineland, drowning, local/state
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- AccuWeather: Tracking light snow tonight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle 50 min ago
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- 1 wounded in Lakewood drive-by shooting
- 2 men, sitting in SUV, shot in Chester
- 2 women injured in Overbrook fire
- Crimea votes on Ukraine secession
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids