Dancing with the seniors in Delco
GLEN MILLS, Pa. - May 24, 2011 (WPVI) -- As America was getting ready for the Dancing with the Stars finale Tuesday night, the excitement was in full force in Delaware County.
The Maris Grove retirement community in Glen Mills has its own dance stars, shaking and shimmying, doing the Salsa and Merange.
Action News was there as more than a dozen snappy seniors showed off their moves. They were taking part in Zumba classes which provide them with good exercise, regular socialization and lots of fun.
"The two rules of my class are to move and have fun," explained dance instructor Jen Moser.
Moser has been offering Zumba classes to the Maris Grove seniors since January. Classes meet every Tuesday and Thursday from 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.
It is part of the dance craze that's been sweeping the nation, a Latin-inspired dance-fitness program that blends international music with simple dance steps and a little workout.
"As long as they are moving and getting exercise, they don't have to have the steps down," said Moser. "They're moving and having fun."
About 40 seniors have signed up for the class at Maris Grove, ages 62 to mid-80s.
"My kids have been doing Zumba for many years," said 74-year-old Betty Zelesnick. "And they bought me a pair of Zumba shoes! It's easy to follow. You don't have to memorize steps, and they are simple. You're supposed to move the entire body!"
It's an activity typically associated with younger dancers, but these seniors can hold their own.
"I have a lot of joint problems," said 77-year-old Jane Anderson, "and it kind of helps. I didn't it would, but it does."
Moser says she was pleasantly surprised by the number of people who signed up for the class. She says it has become one of the most popular activities at Maris Grove.
pennsylvania, dancing with the stars, health care, delaware county, local/state, lisa thomas-laury
- Nelson Mandela dies at age 95
- Periods of rain today, getting cooler 5 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- 2 women hospitalized after Schuylkill Expressway crash 27 min ago
- Police raid alleged chop shop in North Philadelphia
- Restaurant owner slashes robber with sushi knife
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings
- Center City rape victims speaks to Action News
- Surveillance: Christmas packages stolen from home
- Christmas decoration theft caught on camera
- Fmr. Marine's murder suspect held on $2M bail
- Photos: 21 suspects ID'd in Collingdale drug sweep