Body found in Del. River believed to be missing teen
HOLMESBURG - May 26, 2011 (WPVI) -- Police have recovered a body in the Delaware River and are working to determine if it is that of a teenage boy who may have drowned while trying to save a friend.
In a news release late Thursday afternoon, Philadelphia police say the body is believed to be that of the teen who went missing on Wednesday evening.
The teen who went missing is 18-year-old William Wilkinson, from the Holmesburg section of Philadelphia.
He was out with three other friends just before 6:00 p.m. Wednesday when the accident happened.
"We were all out hanging out here and then Jennifer fell in and my cousin, Will, tried jumping in to help her and he started drowning," Joshua Garner said.
Joshua says he jumped in to save his cousin and yelled at two men standing nearby to try and save the girl, 18-year-old Jennifer Torres.
"They came and saved my life, but...," Jennifer said as she began to cry. "That's family right there."
Joshua says he tried desperately to save his cousin, but to no avail.
The search for Wilkinson continued on Thursday.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, missing children, missing person, holmesburg, drowning, local/state
- Video captures Laundromat robbery
- Turning Milder
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- Arsonist tries to torch atheist billboard in NJ 30 min ago
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- On video: Armed robber fails after KFC workers flee
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Woman injured in incident on train tracks in Center City
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos