Baby boom at the Phila. Zoo
PHILADELPHIA - May 26, 2011 (WPVI) -- Meet Leo, a baby gibbon. He is only two months old and still clinging to his mom as she shows-off her acrobatic skills.
Leo and his mom and dad are arboreal. They spend most of their lives in trees and are so dexterous almost no predators can catch them.
13-year-old zoo visitor Nicole Kim agreed that they seem almost human the way they care for their young. "They eat just like we do," she said. "It's really cool."
"I've never seen a monkey that small before," said 12-year-old Vanessa Ortiz.
"I thought it was really cool how they put their baby on their stomach and they just hold on," said 13-year-old Caroline May.
The zoo also welcomed, less than five months ago, a new baby shifaka. That's a type of lemur from Northwestern Madagascar. The shifaka is named Polamalu and was born Feb. 1st of this year.
The adult prairie dogs were on "look out" at their habitat today. Our camera spotted a fuzzy little one emerging from his hole.
19-month-old Aliyah Shue quickly blew her a kiss. And then she was ready to move on.
Abigail, the zoo's newest baby giraffe, relaxed in the shade as her parents Stella and Gus stood nearby. Abigail will be one year old in July.
And even though Batu the orangatan is already a toddler - he'll be two in October - he still stays close to Mom.
"You know what 'orangutan' means?" asked 9-year-old Steven Green. "It means the man of the forest."
As 9-year-old James Salmon observed, "The baby likes the mom to carry it around very much."
And on hot muggy days, Dad puts a big tub on his head for shade!
There are many more new babies that will soon be on display at the Philadelphia Zoo. They include chicks and ducklings, snakes and birds.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, animals, philadelphia zoo, local/state, lisa thomas-laury
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- Stranded family found alive in Nevada 39 min ago
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Cab driver carjacked in South Philadelphia 46 min ago
- Obama hails Mandela as "last great liberator"
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial 46 min ago
- Possible abduction caught on camera in Spring Garden
- Police: Mom was DUI in chain-reaction crash
- PennDOT clears roads of snow, preps for ice
- Photos: Pictures from the winter storm
- Video: Prankster glues woman to Home Depot toilet 38 min ago
- Nelson Mandela lies in state in Pretoria,...
5 min ago
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela...
46 min ago
- Cab driver carjacked in South Philadelphia
46 min ago