Woman dies after fall during hike in Lancaster
LANCASTER, Pa. - May 30, 2011 (WPVI) -- Authorities in Lancaster say a hiker died after she fell and struck her head in a steep, rocky area.
They say the woman was hiking with several others in the Kelly's Run Nature Preserve in Martic Township when she fell Sunday afternoon.
A companion hiked out to an area where cell phone service was available to call 911.
Tony Williams, assistant chief of the Rawlinsville Fire Company, says the woman was unresponsive when rescuers reached her, and efforts to revive her failed.
He says dozens of firefighters responded, battling heat and treacherous terrain.
Williams says rescuers had to use ropes and pulleys to remove the body.
The victim is not yet being identified.
pennsylvania, lancaster county, local/state
- Body found in home of Philadelphia attorney 16 min ago
- Clear, Still Breezy Tonight 49 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- 1 dead in I-495 crash in Claymont, Delaware
- 7-year-old critically injured in SW Phila. house fire
- NE Phila. couple stabbed at home, son arrested
- Woman hospitalized in West Oak Lane fire 47 min ago
- Amber Alert for Pottsville teen canceled
- Knife-wielding man shot, killed in Oxford Circle
- Philadelphia man arrested for firing shots at police
- French soldier stabbed in throat outside Paris
- Angel Flight crashes in NY, 2 killed, 1 missing
- Start to 1st summer after Sandy at NJ shore
- Body found in home of Philadelphia attorney
16 min ago
- Clear, Still Breezy Tonight
49 min ago