No croc! Lehigh Valley gator gets his close up
EMMAUS, Pa. (AP) - May 31, 2011 (WPVI) -- Action News caught up with a wayward alligator at the Emmaus home of local conservationist Gary Lee.
Gary says the 3 and a half foot gator is a little beat up and missing some teeth, but, "other than that, he's nice and fat and I'm sure he'll eat for me."
The gator was captured yesterday after people visiting Illick's Mill Park in Bethlehem reported seeing some kind of big lizard in Monocacy Creek.
It took three attempts with a snare over the course of an hour before Bethlehem Patrolman Eric Yeakel finally made the winning grab.
Bethlehem police are becoming pros at catching alligators.
They captured another, about the same size as this one, back in March after neighbors reported seeing it run down the 1400 block of Schoenersville Road. Authorities believe both are either escaped or released pets.
By the way, a local ordinance forbids Bethlehem residents from owning alligators.
But Gary Lee says if you see one, don't panic.
Just call 911 for assistance.
"These guys are more afraid of us than we are of them, believe it or not," Lee said.
The 3.5-foot alligator's stay in the Lehigh Valley will not last much longer.
From here he'll be taken to the World of Reptiles Education Center in Saylorsburg in the Poconos where he'll hopefully have a happy, prosperous life.
pennsylvania, bethlehem, lehigh county, northampton county, local/state
- Faith-healing couple charged in son's death 45 min ago
- Warm and humid, 80s again today 28 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Names of 16 Okla. tornado victims released 49 min ago
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- AG: 29 New Jersey bars swapped top-shelf liquor
- Philadelphia cop accused of ripping off drug dealers
- 1 dead, 2 injured in 'barbaric' London attack 14 min ago
- Police ID victim in water ice stand homicide
- Hats get women ejected from KoP Mall
- D.A.: Girlfriend's murder in Chesco 'an execution'
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Names of 16 Okla. tornado victims released
49 min ago