Rasmussen wins Philly International cycling race
PHILADELPHIA - June 5, 2011 (WPVI) -- Alex Rasmussen of HTC-Highroad won a sprint to the finish line to win the 156-mile Philadelphia International Championship pro cycling race on Sunday.
Rasmussen finished with a time of five hours, 59 minutes, four seconds, just ahead of Peter Sagan of Liquigas-Cannondale and Robert Forster of Team UnitedHealthcare.
Riders made 10 circuits of a course of almost 15 miles from central Philadelphia to suburban Manayunk and back as well as several shorter loops before the final dash to the finish line.
In the women's Liberty Classic, current world champion Giorgia Bronzini of Colavita Forno d'Asolo finished the 57.6-mile course in two hours, 28 minutes, 28 seconds, ahead of Shelley Olds of Diadora Pasta Zara and Jennifer Purcell of Team Danbury Audi.
philadelphia, manayunk, cycling, local/state
- More Snow on the Way
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps 49 min ago
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack
- Thief steals $17K from Philadelphia charter school
- 2 PSU students charged with ethnic intimidation
- Teen shot and killed in Wilmington 4 min ago
- Man who bought guns for teen sentenced
- ID released of man killed on Pa. Turnpike
- 2K get meningitis B vaccinations at Princeton
- US Airways, American merger complete
- Rachael Ray's cookbook competition