Rasmussen wins Philly International cycling race
PHILADELPHIA - June 5, 2011 (WPVI) -- Alex Rasmussen of HTC-Highroad won a sprint to the finish line to win the 156-mile Philadelphia International Championship pro cycling race on Sunday.
Rasmussen finished with a time of five hours, 59 minutes, four seconds, just ahead of Peter Sagan of Liquigas-Cannondale and Robert Forster of Team UnitedHealthcare.
Riders made 10 circuits of a course of almost 15 miles from central Philadelphia to suburban Manayunk and back as well as several shorter loops before the final dash to the finish line.
In the women's Liberty Classic, current world champion Giorgia Bronzini of Colavita Forno d'Asolo finished the 57.6-mile course in two hours, 28 minutes, 28 seconds, ahead of Shelley Olds of Diadora Pasta Zara and Jennifer Purcell of Team Danbury Audi.
philadelphia, manayunk, cycling, local/state
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Clouds to sun, cool today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- 12 dead in Mt. Everest avalanche
- Hate messages sprayed on W. Amwell business 53 min ago
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sinking ferry
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- Photos: Suspects in Ocean Co. child porn sweep
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Bucks Co.
- Video: Hero twins yell, hit carjacker to escape 30 min ago
- Hate messages sprayed on W. Amwell business
53 min ago
- Dead body found during Easter egg hunt
48 min ago