Rasmussen wins Philly International cycling race
PHILADELPHIA - June 5, 2011 (WPVI) -- Alex Rasmussen of HTC-Highroad won a sprint to the finish line to win the 156-mile Philadelphia International Championship pro cycling race on Sunday.
Rasmussen finished with a time of five hours, 59 minutes, four seconds, just ahead of Peter Sagan of Liquigas-Cannondale and Robert Forster of Team UnitedHealthcare.
Riders made 10 circuits of a course of almost 15 miles from central Philadelphia to suburban Manayunk and back as well as several shorter loops before the final dash to the finish line.
In the women's Liberty Classic, current world champion Giorgia Bronzini of Colavita Forno d'Asolo finished the 57.6-mile course in two hours, 28 minutes, 28 seconds, ahead of Shelley Olds of Diadora Pasta Zara and Jennifer Purcell of Team Danbury Audi.
philadelphia, manayunk, cycling, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Sunny and chilly
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in North Philadelphia 47 min ago
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester 28 min ago
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ