Fire destroys historic Cape May Co. church
DENNIS TWP., N.J. - June 10, 2011 (WPVI) -- A Cape May County church, built in the 1800s, was destroyed by fire early Friday morning.
The fire broke out around 3:30 a.m. in the South Seaville United Methodist Church, located in the 100 block of Corsons Tavern Road in Dennis Township.
Multiple fire companies were called into fight the blaze, but the 125-year-old building is a total loss.
It is especially devastating for the fire chief who attends the church.
"This is emotional. This is my church, my wife grew up in this church, my kids were baptized, we were married here, I know all the congregation," said Chief Joseph Gurdgiel, Jr. of the Ocean View Fire Department.
The pastor and congregation were overcome by emotion as they watched the firemen. They were trying to renovate the church, put in new pews and paint the walls...they had a wedding planned.
Pastor Thomas Perry, or "Pastor Tom" as he is known, is asking for prayers and vows the congregation will come back.
"This congregation is the most awesome congregation in the world," said Perry.
There are no reports of injuries and no word yet on a definite cause. Investigators say they have ruled out both lightning and arson as possible causes.
Though the building was destroyed, congregants were able to salvage the church's bell from the rubble.
new jersey, cape may county, fire, local/state
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway 29 min ago
- Warmer Weekend 1 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Overbrook shooting
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor 27 min ago
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands 33 min ago
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school 35 min ago
- Video released of AK-47 robbery in Wynnefield 10 min ago
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested 31 min ago
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Fmr. Montco GOP chairman to stand trial for rape
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova...
27 min ago
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway
29 min ago
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for...
33 min ago
- Warmer Weekend
1 min ago