Del. police end investigation into congressman
WILMINGTON, Del. (AP) - June 11, 2011 (WPVI) -- A spokesman says police in Delaware have completed their investigation into Rep. Anthony Weiner's online contact with a 17-year-old girl.
C.R. McLeod, a spokesman for the New Castle County government, told The Associated Press on Saturday that investigators have concluded their probe and don't plan any further comment "unless something new arises that needs their attention."
Police on Friday spoke with a 17-year-old girl who communicated online with Weiner. Weiner has said his contact with the girl was neither indecent nor explicit, and authorities say the teen didn't say anything about illegal conduct.
The pressure on the congressman to resign escalated Saturday, with leading Democrats demanding that he step down. Weiner says he'll seek a temporary leave of absence from the House to get professional help.
The attorney for the 17 year old Delaware girl released a statement saying: "The 'Tweets' in question between the student in question and the Congressman were not salacious or in any manner inappropriate. No photographs were ever sent to her or from her."
Congressman Weiner spoke publicly on Saturday about his online communications with the girl, and announced a short time later that he was requesting a short leave of absence from Congress.
He was confronted by reporters outside of his home, telling them that he was not stepping down.
"This is ultimately a decision for my constituents," said Congressman Weiner.
Friday, the news broke that Weiner sent Twitter messages to a 17year old North Wilmington girl.
"Nothing explicit, nothing indecent, absolutely nothing inappropriate," Congressman Weiner said Saturday.
Saturday, a spokeswoman for the Democrat said that he is seeking treatment because he takes the views of his colleagues very seriously.
Both those colleagues, including House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosie say that is not good enough, and have asked him to resign, calling him a major distraction to the House.
delaware, anthony weiner, twitter, local/state
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car 42 min ago
- AccuWeather: Tracking light snow tonight 22 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run 50 min ago
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator 43 min ago
- 2 men, sitting in SUV, shot in Chester 12 min ago
- Van crash leaves 2 men trapped in Center City 13 min ago
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- Delaware Co. mother seeks help finding son's killer
- Delaware man charged with 12th DUI
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies 37 min ago
- AccuWeather: Tracking light snow tonight
22 min ago
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and...
50 min ago
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight...
43 min ago
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite,...
37 min ago