Strong storms cause damage, outages in Pa.
ANNVILLE, Pa. (AP) - June 11, 2011 -- A line of strong thunderstorms moved through south-central and eastern Pennsylvania on Saturday night, and the National Weather Service said it will investigate a report of a tornado east of Harrisburg.
The storms also caused a hospital near Reading to lose power for about 45 minutes, the Reading Eagle reported.
Weather service meteorologist Charles Ross in State College said a weather spotter reported that a possible tornado touched down in North Annville Township before 8 p.m. The township is about 20 miles east of Harrisburg.
Ross said there were multiple reports of debris scattered in the area, but there was no information on whether anyone was injured in the storm. Weather service officials will likely survey the area Sunday to confirm whether a tornado hit, he said.
"We do know there was plenty of severe weather going through," he said.
Trees, poles and wires were downed in various parts of Lebanon County, the Lebanon Daily News reported.
Electric company Met-Ed reported that hundreds of customers were without power in the Lebanon and Reading areas.
St. Joseph's Medical Center in Bern Township experienced a power outage due to the storms, but none of its 109 patients were on life support equipment, hospital spokesman Michael B. Jupina told the Reading Eagle. Much of the hospital's critical equipment had battery backup, Jupina said, although ambulance crews were called to stand by for a possible evacuation if the power had remained out.
Ambulances were told to take patients to Reading Hospital's emergency room during the outage, the newspaper reported.
pennsylvania, power outage, severe weather, local/state
- ABC News: Possible security breach at Target 10 min ago
- Winter Warm Up
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg Harbor
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall
- Impact of Sunoco HQ, Citibank leaving Philly
- Video: Soldier returning from Afghanistan...