Wawa Welcome America nearing
PHILADELPHIIA - June 14, 2011 (WPVI) -- We are less than two weeks to the start of a Philadelphia tradition.
The Wawa Welcome America festivities are set to get under way.
For 11 days, the festivities will showcase all that America's birthplace has to offer including an endless supply of history, food, culture and entertainment for people of all ages!
Taste of Philadelphia kicks things off on Friday, June 24th with lots of food.
The event's title sponsor, Wawa, is back for a second year.
There will be not one, or even two, but three spectacular fireworks shows.
Peter Nero and Philly Pops will return this year and so will Gerald Veasly.
Finally, on July 4th, four-time Grammy Award-winning band The Roots will headline this year's Fourth of July Jam. They will perform on the Parkway along with Earth, Wind, and Fire, Michael McDonald, Estelle, DJ Jazzy Jeff, and more.
There will also be a special tribute to the 40th anniversary of Gamble and Huff's iconic Philadelphia International Records.
Again, this year's Wawa Welcome America Celebration begins Friday, June 24th through Monday, the Fourth of July.
We'll be following all the activities so those you cannot attend, you'll be able to watch on 6abc and 6abc.com!
philadelphia, pennsylvania, welcome america, local/state, lisa thomas-laury
- London theater partially collapses; 80 injured
- Record Weekend Warmth
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy 19 min ago
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos