Wawa Welcome America nearing
PHILADELPHIIA - June 14, 2011 (WPVI) -- We are less than two weeks to the start of a Philadelphia tradition.
The Wawa Welcome America festivities are set to get under way.
For 11 days, the festivities will showcase all that America's birthplace has to offer including an endless supply of history, food, culture and entertainment for people of all ages!
Taste of Philadelphia kicks things off on Friday, June 24th with lots of food.
The event's title sponsor, Wawa, is back for a second year.
There will be not one, or even two, but three spectacular fireworks shows.
Peter Nero and Philly Pops will return this year and so will Gerald Veasly.
Finally, on July 4th, four-time Grammy Award-winning band The Roots will headline this year's Fourth of July Jam. They will perform on the Parkway along with Earth, Wind, and Fire, Michael McDonald, Estelle, DJ Jazzy Jeff, and more.
There will also be a special tribute to the 40th anniversary of Gamble and Huff's iconic Philadelphia International Records.
Again, this year's Wawa Welcome America Celebration begins Friday, June 24th through Monday, the Fourth of July.
We'll be following all the activities so those you cannot attend, you'll be able to watch on 6abc and 6abc.com!
philadelphia, pennsylvania, welcome america, local/state, lisa thomas-laury
- SEPTA unveils strike plan; union says strike unlikely 4 min ago
- Milder this afternoon, snow possible Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL 11 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from PHL after landing gear collapse
- Investigator: Missing plane flew over Malaysia 8 min ago
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- Truck overturns on Paoli Pike; 1 injury
- Drunk driving suspected in Center City crash
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Teen father arrested for biting nose off infant
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- SEPTA unveils strike plan; union says...
4 min ago
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
11 min ago