Wawa Welcome America nearing
PHILADELPHIIA - June 14, 2011 (WPVI) -- We are less than two weeks to the start of a Philadelphia tradition.
The Wawa Welcome America festivities are set to get under way.
For 11 days, the festivities will showcase all that America's birthplace has to offer including an endless supply of history, food, culture and entertainment for people of all ages!
Taste of Philadelphia kicks things off on Friday, June 24th with lots of food.
The event's title sponsor, Wawa, is back for a second year.
There will be not one, or even two, but three spectacular fireworks shows.
Peter Nero and Philly Pops will return this year and so will Gerald Veasly.
Finally, on July 4th, four-time Grammy Award-winning band The Roots will headline this year's Fourth of July Jam. They will perform on the Parkway along with Earth, Wind, and Fire, Michael McDonald, Estelle, DJ Jazzy Jeff, and more.
There will also be a special tribute to the 40th anniversary of Gamble and Huff's iconic Philadelphia International Records.
Again, this year's Wawa Welcome America Celebration begins Friday, June 24th through Monday, the Fourth of July.
We'll be following all the activities so those you cannot attend, you'll be able to watch on 6abc and 6abc.com!
philadelphia, pennsylvania, welcome america, local/state, lisa thomas-laury
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Wet to Wintry!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Moment of silence marks Boston bombings
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston Marathon
- Hundreds rescued after ferry sinks near South Korea
- 20-month-old found safe, Amber Alert canceled
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Woman delivers baby after church van crash
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police