Pa. couple denied bail in baby's cinderblock death
LAKE ARIEL, Pa. - June 16, 2011 (WPVI) -- A northeastern Pennsylvania couple charged in the death of their newborn baby has been denied bail.
Twenty-year-old Christopher Fitzpatrick sat silently as a Wayne County judge read the statement in which police say he admitted killing his newborn daughter with a cinderblock on May 28.
In a separate hearing, 28-year-old Jennifer Barrise burst into tears and repeatedly turned to her mother.
Prosecutors say Barrise gave birth to the girl in a car and Fitzpatrick took the baby to a wooded area in Lake Ariel and killed it.
Police say Fitzpatrick told investigators he killed the baby because the couple couldn't afford another child.
Authorities say Barrise knew her boyfriend's plan but Barrise's mother says the woman believed Fitzpatrick was dropping the child off at a hospital.
pennsylvania, baby death, homicide, local/state
- Philadelphia cop accused of ripping off drug dealers 22 min ago
- Warm and humid, 80s again today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Report: FBI agent fatally shoots Tsarnaev associate
- Police ID victim in water ice stand homicide 22 min ago
- Hats get women ejected from KoP Mall 31 min ago
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Chesco man killed longtime girlfriend, police say
- Bar fight ends with 2 shot in SW Philadelphia
- Okla. residents come home to pick up the pieces
- Vatican insists that no papal exorcism took place
- Sleep monitors promise a better night's sleep
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Police ID victim in water ice stand homicide
22 min ago
- TONIGHT at 11: How the right bra can make...
11 min ago