Husband calls 911 to confess shooting wife
MANAYUNK - June 20, 2011 (WPVI) -- A man is in custoday after police say he called 911 and announced: I just shot my wife.
Action News was on the scene as 54-year-old Gregory Mitros was handcuffed and taken into custody following the shooting death of his 64-year-old wife, Lynda.
From all accounts, neighbors and friends say the couple, parents to a son in his 20's, had a happy marriage.
"They were the perfect couple, they've been together forever," family friend Harry Baeringer said.
But the peaceful afternoon air in the 100 block of Markle Street in Manayunk was shattered when a gunshot rang out just around 4:30 p.m.
Seconds later, police say Mitro's would call 911, saying he had just shot his wife and the gun was on the floor.
"Somehow, during whatever altercation takes place, the gun comes into play, and we have the female that's shot, what appears to be one time in the left side of the face near the eye," Captain John Cerrone of the Philadelphia police said.
In one heated moment, the nature of which so far escapes police, neighbors and friends, Gregory Mitros allegedly did something that changed his & his family's life forever.
"They had a great time together, they had their differences, but never nothing like this," Baeringer said.
If there was a series of events or collection of decisions that led to the shooting, they were unknown to neighbors, including Baeringer who has known Mitros since they were kids.
"I can't understand how this happened. It had to be an accident, a total accident, they were in love," Baeringer said.
Mitros remains behind bars awaiting his arraignment. He is expected to be charged with the murder of his wife and related offenses.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, manayunk, shooting, local/state
- At least 11 hurt in East Harlem building explosion 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Screaming man attacks police station, cars
- Homes evacuated in Tacony for gas leak
- Photos: Pictures of smashed police car, station...
- Sandusky's wife: Victims manipulated over money 38 min ago
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar
- Carjacking suspect arrested after rush hour chase 28 min ago
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Triple shooting leaves 1 dead in West Oak...
10 min ago
- Family of 5 escapes house fire in New...
6 min ago