Husband calls 911 to confess shooting wife
MANAYUNK - June 20, 2011 (WPVI) -- A man is in custoday after police say he called 911 and announced: I just shot my wife.
Action News was on the scene as 54-year-old Gregory Mitros was handcuffed and taken into custody following the shooting death of his 64-year-old wife, Lynda.
From all accounts, neighbors and friends say the couple, parents to a son in his 20's, had a happy marriage.
"They were the perfect couple, they've been together forever," family friend Harry Baeringer said.
But the peaceful afternoon air in the 100 block of Markle Street in Manayunk was shattered when a gunshot rang out just around 4:30 p.m.
Seconds later, police say Mitro's would call 911, saying he had just shot his wife and the gun was on the floor.
"Somehow, during whatever altercation takes place, the gun comes into play, and we have the female that's shot, what appears to be one time in the left side of the face near the eye," Captain John Cerrone of the Philadelphia police said.
In one heated moment, the nature of which so far escapes police, neighbors and friends, Gregory Mitros allegedly did something that changed his & his family's life forever.
"They had a great time together, they had their differences, but never nothing like this," Baeringer said.
If there was a series of events or collection of decisions that led to the shooting, they were unknown to neighbors, including Baeringer who has known Mitros since they were kids.
"I can't understand how this happened. It had to be an accident, a total accident, they were in love," Baeringer said.
Mitros remains behind bars awaiting his arraignment. He is expected to be charged with the murder of his wife and related offenses.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, manayunk, shooting, local/state
- Nelson Mandela dies at age 95
- Wet to Wintry
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Police raid alleged chop shop in North Philadelphia
- Restaurant owner slashes robber with sushi knife
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings
- Center City rape victims speaks to Action News
- Surveillance: Christmas packages stolen from home
- Christmas decoration theft caught on camera
- Fmr. Marine's murder suspect held on $2M bail
- Photos: 21 suspects ID'd in Collingdale drug sweep
- Arrest in theft of Porsche part from Walker crash