Lancaster trench collapse kills 1, officials say
MANHEIM TWP., Pa. (AP) - June 21, 2011 (WPVI) -- Authorities in central Pennsylvania say a trench collapse has killed one person.
Emergency officials say rescuers in Lancaster County were called to a construction site in Manheim Township at about 2 p.m. Tuesday.
Rescue crews responded and tried to get the person out, but about an hour later an official said the operation had shifted from a rescue to a recovery.
Authorities had no immediate word on the identity of the victim or how the accident happened.
pennsylvania, lancaster county, collapse, local/state
- Photos: 6 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del. 38 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days 50 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- SEPTA, union resume talks to avoid strike 18 min ago
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run 48 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- Photos: Pictures from the finger-bite mall attack
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet 46 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Court won't hear dispute over 'boobies' bracelets 51 min ago
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- Are store credit cards worth the discount?
- Video: 85-year-old grandma outsmarts robber