Robert Gates named 2011 Liberty Medal recipient
PHILADELPHIA - June 23, 2011 (WPVI) -- Defense Secretary Robert Gates, who is retiring next week after 50 years of public service, is the recipient of the 2011 Liberty Medal.
Gates will receive the medal in a ceremony on Sept. 22, 2011, in Philadelphia at the National Constitution Center on Independence Mall.
Action News Anchorman Jim Gardner will host the live broadcast of the Liberty Medal ceremony on 6abc. The event also will be streamed live on 6abc.com.
"I am deeply honored to be named to receive the Liberty Medal," said Secretary Robert Gates in a statement. "I look forward to coming to Philadelphia for the ceremony in September."
Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter and Liberty Medal sponsors made the announcement Thursday. They say Gates has built a legacy of defending freedom, promoting diplomacy and supporting U.S. troops worldwide.
"Secretary Gates' steadfast commitment to the well-being of our men and women in uniform makes him an ideal recipient of this year's Liberty Medal," said President Bill Clinton, Chair of the National Constitution Center. "As he embarks on his next chapter, we are pleased to honor his many years of distinguished service to our country."
Gates has served eight presidents. He also is the only U.S. Defense Secretary who has served presidents of different parties.
The Liberty Medal was first given in 1989. Previous winners include rock singer and human rights activist Bono, former South African President Nelson Mandela and former President Jimmy Carter.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
liberty medal, philadelphia, robert gates, national constitution center, local/state
- 2nd suspect surrenders in Christmas package theft 5 min ago
- Wintry Weekend 1 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports
- SEPTA bus strikes and kills man 22 min ago
- Residents displaced after high-rise fire 4 min ago
- Man freed from under train on Broad Street Line
- NKorea says it deported US tourist and war vet 6 min ago
- Victim ID'd in deadly Wilmington hit-and-run
- Video released in pizza delivery driver shooting
- Mega Million jackpot reaches $297 Million 7 min ago
- Elkins Park sisters treated at KoP by Make-a-Wish
- Area medical schools use 'Jeopardy' as learning tool
- Wintry Weekend
1 min ago