15-year-old driver charged with murder
NORTHEAST PHILADELPHIA - June 30, 2011 (WPVI) -- A 15-year-old Philadelphia boy is charged with murder after he allegedly took his mother's car for an early-morning joyride that ended in a fatal crash.
The teen, Winston Charleston, is charged with murder, aggravated assault, involuntary manslaughter, and related crimes.
The three-car collision killed one person and left 7 others hurt.
"This -year-old had no business operating a motor vehicle, had no business being out after 10:30 at night," Philadelphia Police Chief Inspector Scott Small said.
Police say Charleston took his mother's car without her knowledge and went for a joyride with three young friends.
Witnesses say at around 2:00 a.m. Thursday, they came flying off I-95 with their headlights off and a State Police cruiser close behind. They blasted through a light at Frankford Avenue, bounced off a Chevy, and slammed head-on into a Volkswagen.
20-year-old Jessica Feldman was driving the Volkswagen. Her boyfriend, 22-year-old Daniel Fouracre, was in the passenger seat. He was killed instantly.
Daniel Fouracre lived with his parents in Bensalem. His father, Bruce, says Daniel and Jessica had been dating for over 3 years and had planned on a future together.
"They were serious and I think they were planning a future together and now that's all cut short," Bruce said.
Bruce says his son and Jessica went to hang out with friends last night and they were on their way when the accident happened.
He says Danny was a typical 22-year-old, full of life and willing to get along with anyone.
"I want Danny to be remembered as the great kid that he was," Bruce said.
Charleston lives with his mother in Holmesburg. His older sister had no comment for Action News.
His uncle, though, says he's a good kid who's never been in trouble.
However, he is in trouble now.
The State Police have no comment on reports that a cruiser was pursuing the car just before the accident.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, accident, northeast philadelphia, homicide, local/state
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports 3 min ago
- Periods of rain today, getting cooler
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Victim ID'd in deadly Wilmington hit-and-run 7 min ago
- Would-be robber stabbed; suspect's mom talks
- Grandmother sentenced in Pa. baby's 2009 death
- Funeral for Nelson Mandela to be held Dec. 15th
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Center City rape victim speaks to Action News
- Police question suspect in Christmas package theft
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings
- Photos: East Passyunk Avenue Tree Lighting Party
- Region prepares for wintry weather
9 min ago
- Victim ID'd in deadly Wilmington hit-and-run
7 min ago