Dad on trial in starvation death in Pa. mom's home
PHILADELPHIA - June 30, 2011 (WPVI) -- The father of a disabled Philadelphia teen who died of starvation in her unfit mother's home goes on trial Thursday for child endangerment.
Daniel Kelly's case may be the final chapter in the criminal case surrounding the 2006 death of 14-year-old Danieal Kelly. City prosecutors say he abandoned her in the mother's squalid apartment.
Investigators learned after the girl's death that she had not been going to school or to doctor's visits despite millions spent on contractors for needy families.
Mikal Kamuvaka, the contractor, goes on trial with the girl's father. She is already serving a 17-1/2-year federal prison sentence for fraud.
And the girl's mother, Andrea Kelly, is serving a 20- to 40-year term for third-degree murder.
pennsylvania, philadelphia, child abuse, danieal kelly, local/state
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Lots of sun, chilly today 36 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp. 3 min ago
- Driver loses control, hits parked SUV in South Philly 50 min ago
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston Marathon
- Hundreds rescued after ferry sinks near South Korea
- 20-month-old found safe, Amber Alert canceled
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Woman delivers baby after church van crash
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Video: Kid gets stuck in claw machine 14 min ago
- Kid gets stuck in claw machine
14 min ago
- Waitress types "B" word on customer's receipt
13 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos