New exhibit gives glimpse into Washington's life
PHILADELPHIA - June 30, 2011 (WPVI) -- Starting Friday, visitors to the National Constitution Center will be able to get up close and personal with the George Washington, in a new exhibit.
A new exhibit, "Discover the Real George Washington: New Views from Mt. Vernon," gives a behind-the-scenes look at our nation's first president, through his achievements, family, and legacies.
"It certainly is flattering and I think it's very important that we remember our accomplishments of the past," said John Lopes, the American Historical Theatre's presidential interpreter.
6ABC is the official media partner for the 6500-square-foot exhibition, which focuses on specific aspects of Washington's life.
Washington inherited slaves when he was 11-years old but during the American Revolution he had a change of heart.
"We might say today it's too little too late. We recognize that eight of our first presidents owned slaves, but only one ever freed them and that was George Washington," said James C. Rees, President and C.E.O. of Mount Vernon.
The exhibition was organized by the Mt. Vernon Ladies Association, which started collecting and restoring items from Washington's estate in the 1850s
Among the 100 objects on display are even Washington's teeth.
To coincide with the Washington exhibition, the President's House at Independence National Historical Park is displaying a collection of quilts to celebrate the lives of the nine slaves owned by Washington.
"Discover the Real George Washington: New Views from Mt. Vernon," runs until Sept. 5, and kids 12 and under, with an adult can view the exhibit free.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, national constitution center, local/state, lisa thomas-laury
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 1 min ago
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures