Execution date set for convicted ax murderer
WILMINGTON, Del. - July 2, 2011 (WPVI) -- A Superior Court judge has set July 29 as the date for the state to execute Robert Jackson III, who killed a woman with an ax during a botched robbery in 1992.
Judge Richard R. Cooch ordered the execution during a brief hearing on Wednesday. The execution is to take place between 12:01 a.m. and 3 a.m. at the James T. Vaughn Correctional Center in Smyrna.
Jackson was convicted of killing Elizabeth Girardi at her Hockessin home.
The Delaware Supreme Court rejected an appeal from Jackson seeking to overturn his death sentence.
Jackson is scheduled to die by lethal injection. Delaware has adopted a new set of execution protocols, and Jackson's lawyers have filed a motion in federal court challenging the substitution of a drug used in the procedure.
Information from: The News Journal of Wilmington, Del.
delaware, new castle county, homicide, execution, local/state
- Cab driver shot outside Hunting Park nightclub 32 min ago
- Wintry Weekend
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Man critically injured in Camden County crash
- 4 shot outside Delaware nightclub
- More of US expected to see snow, sleet, ice
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks bombing anniversary
- Teacher says he was fired because he is gay
- 2nd suspect surrenders in Christmas package theft
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports
- Residents displaced after high-rise fire 30 min ago
- NKorea says it deported US tourist and war vet
- Victim ID'd in deadly Wilmington hit-and-run
- Cab driver shot outside Hunting Park...
32 min ago