Execution date set for convicted ax murderer
WILMINGTON, Del. - July 2, 2011 (WPVI) -- A Superior Court judge has set July 29 as the date for the state to execute Robert Jackson III, who killed a woman with an ax during a botched robbery in 1992.
Judge Richard R. Cooch ordered the execution during a brief hearing on Wednesday. The execution is to take place between 12:01 a.m. and 3 a.m. at the James T. Vaughn Correctional Center in Smyrna.
Jackson was convicted of killing Elizabeth Girardi at her Hockessin home.
The Delaware Supreme Court rejected an appeal from Jackson seeking to overturn his death sentence.
Jackson is scheduled to die by lethal injection. Delaware has adopted a new set of execution protocols, and Jackson's lawyers have filed a motion in federal court challenging the substitution of a drug used in the procedure.
Information from: The News Journal of Wilmington, Del.
delaware, new castle county, homicide, execution, local/state
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death 16 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run 34 min ago
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup 11 min ago
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course 3 min ago
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia 7 min ago
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
7 min ago
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
13 min ago