Flash floods cause headaches in Delco
RIDLEY TWP., Pa. - July 8, 2011 (WPVI) -- Heavy rain and a lightning strike were among the weather woes Friday in Ridley Twp., Pa.
A large tree was struck by lightning at about 3:30pm. And the intersection of Armstrong and Brook was so heavily flooded that the Action Cam found children swimming and playing in water that was knee-high deep.
Emergency crews were out warning residents not to drive through or play in flash floodwaters, but the warning appeared to have little effect as the rain came down in torrents.
Action News spotted several vehicles stopped in deep waters. The heavy rains clearly caused travel trouble for motorists in the area.
In nearby Prospect Park, crews had to deploy rescue boats to one underpass, after a motorist got stuck in deep water. The driver made it out safely.
pennsylvania, flooding, rain, delaware county, local/state, kenneth moton
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate
- Breezy And Mild!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Fire forces 11 people from their homes
- Driver crashes SUV into pole in East Falls, DUI suspected
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Boyd Theatre to be demolished, rebuilt
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos