Flash floods cause headaches in Delco
RIDLEY TWP., Pa. - July 8, 2011 (WPVI) -- Heavy rain and a lightning strike were among the weather woes Friday in Ridley Twp., Pa.
A large tree was struck by lightning at about 3:30pm. And the intersection of Armstrong and Brook was so heavily flooded that the Action Cam found children swimming and playing in water that was knee-high deep.
Emergency crews were out warning residents not to drive through or play in flash floodwaters, but the warning appeared to have little effect as the rain came down in torrents.
Action News spotted several vehicles stopped in deep waters. The heavy rains clearly caused travel trouble for motorists in the area.
In nearby Prospect Park, crews had to deploy rescue boats to one underpass, after a motorist got stuck in deep water. The driver made it out safely.
pennsylvania, flooding, rain, delaware county, local/state, kenneth moton
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark, Del.
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested 14 min ago
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Miley Cyrus still hospitalized, postpones Philly show
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Is it time for smart watches?