Walt Whitman Bridge closed early Wednesday morning
CAMDEN, N.J. - July 11, 2011 (WPVI) -- The Walt Whitman Bridge connecting southern New Jersey with Philadelphia will be closed for several hours early Wednesday and perhaps Thursday as well.
The Delaware Port Authority says no traffic will be allowed on the structure from midnight Tuesday until 4 a.m. Wednesday, so three gantry cranes can be moved onto it.
The giant cranes are needed for a project to give the bridge a new deck over the next two to three years.
If the cranes aren't put in place by 4 a.m. Wednesday, the bridge will be shut down again the next morning.
camden, philadelphia, travel, local/state
- 3 children rescued from Southwest Phila. house fire
- Windy And Cool
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Philadelphia man arrested for firing shots at police
- Fire forces evacuation of N. Phila. high-rise apt.
- Police investigate 2 robberies in Montgomery Co.
- Cold start to 1st summer after Sandy at Jersey Shore
- Angel Flight crashes in NY, 2 killed, 1 missing
- No quick fix for downed bridge on holiday weekend
- Police seek suspect in Olney sex assault
- Actor Tyler Perry donates $100K to Ohio schools
- 4 men sought in West Philadelphia armed robbery
- Police: Woman who hit teen was DUI, reading text
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos