Man killed by concrete barrier on NJ Turnpike ID'd
BORDENTOWN, N.J. - July 11, 2011 (WPVI) -- A tractor trailer driver was killed when a concrete barrier fell off the trailer and crushed him on the New Jersey Turnpike.
The accident happened shortly before 8:00 a.m. in area of Exit 7 in Bordentown Township.
Investigators say Carmen DiLuzio, 51, of Wilmington, Delaware, had parked his truck and was loosening the restraints on the load of concrete barriers at the delivery site when one of the barriers fell off the trailer and crushed him.
DiLuzio was declared dead at the scene. He was working for Tipton Trucking from Oxford, Pennsylvania, which was contracted to deliver barriers to the construction site for the widening of the Turnpike.
The accident is being investigated by the New Jersey State Police Construction Unit, Crime Scene Investigation Unit, and Troop C detectives.
OSHA has been notified and may also investigate the incident.
Action News spoke by phone with Frank Tipton, the owner of the trucking company DiLuzio worked for.
"I don't know if I can replace him. Carmen was that kind of employee. He came to work every day and got the job done. That's his legacy," Tipton said.
DiLuzio's family was too distraught to speak on camera, but a family spokesperson said that all we need to know is that he leaves behind a wife who adored him, and two small children who revered him.
new jersey, burlington county, industrial accident, nj turnpike, local/state
- Nelson Mandela dies at age 95 58 min ago
- Wet to Wintry 30 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Police raid alleged chop shop in North Philadelphia 3 min ago
- Restaurant owner slashes robber with sushi knife
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings 39 min ago
- Center City rape victims speaks to Action News 51 min ago
- Surveillance: Christmas packages stolen from home 49 min ago
- Christmas decoration theft caught on camera
- Fmr. Marine's murder suspect held on $2M bail
- Photos: 21 suspects ID'd in Collingdale drug sweep
- Arrest in theft of Porsche part from Walker crash 19 min ago
- Nelson Mandela dies at age 95
58 min ago
- Surveillance: Christmas packages stolen...
49 min ago