Man killed by concrete barrier on NJ Turnpike ID'd
BORDENTOWN, N.J. - July 11, 2011 (WPVI) -- A tractor trailer driver was killed when a concrete barrier fell off the trailer and crushed him on the New Jersey Turnpike.
The accident happened shortly before 8:00 a.m. in area of Exit 7 in Bordentown Township.
Investigators say Carmen DiLuzio, 51, of Wilmington, Delaware, had parked his truck and was loosening the restraints on the load of concrete barriers at the delivery site when one of the barriers fell off the trailer and crushed him.
DiLuzio was declared dead at the scene. He was working for Tipton Trucking from Oxford, Pennsylvania, which was contracted to deliver barriers to the construction site for the widening of the Turnpike.
The accident is being investigated by the New Jersey State Police Construction Unit, Crime Scene Investigation Unit, and Troop C detectives.
OSHA has been notified and may also investigate the incident.
Action News spoke by phone with Frank Tipton, the owner of the trucking company DiLuzio worked for.
"I don't know if I can replace him. Carmen was that kind of employee. He came to work every day and got the job done. That's his legacy," Tipton said.
DiLuzio's family was too distraught to speak on camera, but a family spokesperson said that all we need to know is that he leaves behind a wife who adored him, and two small children who revered him.
new jersey, burlington county, industrial accident, nj turnpike, local/state
- Boy killed in Chester accident ID'd
- Unsettled to spectacular
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Woman pulled from Phila. collapse loses both legs
- Committee sets hearings on demolitions in Phila.
- Video: Dash cam view of Lindenwold school bus crash
- Photos: Pictures of damage from Monday's storms
- Multi-alarm fire at titanium plant in Berks
- Girl, 4, dies after crash that killed father
- Burlington taxi driver death ruled homicide, victim ID'd
- Photos: 7 arrests in Phila. prostitution cases
- Automatic renewal contracts
- Tracy ties it in 9th, but Phils win in bottom half