Alleged motorcycle gang VP seeks bail in Philly
PHILADELPHIA - July 15, 2011 (WPVI) -- A leader of a nationwide motorcycle club described by prosecutors as a violent criminal enterprise is due in court Friday in Philadelphia.
A lawyer for Wheels of Soul vice president James "Animal" Smith says he'll seek bail at the afternoon hearing.
Lawyer William Brennan describes the 64-year-old Smith as "clean as a whistle," with no prior convictions.
But federal prosecutors are expected to seek to extradite Smith to St. Louis, where an 18-person indictment was unsealed this week.
The Wheels of Soul motorcycle club has a "Mother Chapter" in West Philadelphia which was raided by authorities on Tuesday.
Prosecutors say the group orchestrated violence and mayhem that included at least three murders across the country.
The defendants are from Pennsylvania, Illinois, Ohio, Missouri, Wisconsin, Kentucky and Colorado.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, west philadelphia, st. louis, gangs, local/state
- SEPTA unveils strike plan; union says strike unlikely 43 min ago
- Milder this afternoon, snow likely Monday 31 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL 26 min ago
- Investigator: Missing plane flew over Malaysia
- 2-alarm fire breaks out at Holmesburg complex 24 min ago
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- Family displaced in Wilmington house fire 17 min ago
- Truck overturns on Paoli Pike; 1 injury 54 min ago
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Teen father arrested for biting nose off infant
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- Milder this afternoon, snow likely Monday
31 min ago
- SEPTA unveils strike plan; union says...
43 min ago
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
26 min ago
- New video released in apparent Pa. road...
42 min ago