Alleged motorcycle gang VP seeks bail in Philly
PHILADELPHIA - July 15, 2011 (WPVI) -- A leader of a nationwide motorcycle club described by prosecutors as a violent criminal enterprise is due in court Friday in Philadelphia.
A lawyer for Wheels of Soul vice president James "Animal" Smith says he'll seek bail at the afternoon hearing.
Lawyer William Brennan describes the 64-year-old Smith as "clean as a whistle," with no prior convictions.
But federal prosecutors are expected to seek to extradite Smith to St. Louis, where an 18-person indictment was unsealed this week.
The Wheels of Soul motorcycle club has a "Mother Chapter" in West Philadelphia which was raided by authorities on Tuesday.
Prosecutors say the group orchestrated violence and mayhem that included at least three murders across the country.
The defendants are from Pennsylvania, Illinois, Ohio, Missouri, Wisconsin, Kentucky and Colorado.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, west philadelphia, st. louis, gangs, local/state
- Multi-vehicle crash closes EB Pa. Turnpike 17 min ago
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Photos: Pictures of the Pa. Turnpike crash 17 min ago
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Temps Soar