No tickets for texting and walking in Philly
PHILADELPHIA - July 19, 2011 (WPVI) -- Have you heard that Philadelphia police will hand out tickets for texting and walking? Philly's deputy mayor says that's not true.
A report that texting and walking would be a ticketable offense from a local news station was picked up by a number of news networks and blogs overnight.
The stories quoted Deputy Mayor Rina Cutler.
However, when contacted by Action News on Tuesday, Cutler said that is not true. Furthermore, she questioned how such a law could even be enforced.
The story originally appeared as part of a report on the city's 'Give Respect-Get Respect' campaign. It's described as an educational initiative for drivers, cyclists and pedestrians to be more aware and mindful of each other on Philadelphia's roads.
In a statement released on Tuesday afternoon, Cutler said pedestrians may be reminded to be more aware of their surroundings; however, there are no citations issued by the Philadelphia Police Department for texting while walking.
If a Philadelphia police officer observes a driver, cyclist or pedestrian participating in any kind of potentially dangerous behavior, the officer will remind them to be careful.
The city has warned nearly 600 bicyclists about dangerous behavior and more than 100 motorists about distracted driving.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, local/state
- Photos: Recent prostitution arrests in Philadelphia 57 min ago
- Clouds to sun, cool today 29 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Vice principal commits suicide after ferry accident 36 min ago
- Popular chocolate maker reopens in time for Easter 44 min ago
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist 47 min ago
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- Photos: Suspects in Ocean Co. child porn sweep
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- Video: Hero twins yell, hit carjacker to escape
- Driver killed in collision with taxi cab in...
40 min ago
- Firefighters battle 3-alarm blaze in...
37 min ago