Teen mom arrested after baby nearly drowns
WEST PHILADELPHIA - July 19, 2011 (WPVI) -- A 16-year-old girl was arrested after her baby nearly drowned in a bathtub earlier this week in West Philadelphia.
Detectives from the Special Victims Unit tell Action News that the mom was arrested on charges of endangering the welfare of a child and recklessly endangering another person.
The incident happened around 10:15 p.m. Sunday in the 5200 block of Pennsgrove Street.
According to investigators, the teen had put the baby in a bathtub when she heard an argument. She allegedly left the bathroom for about a minute and, when she returned, the baby was underwater and unresponsive.
The baby, said to be a boy of about 6 months old, was rushed to the hospital and remains in critical condition at Children's Hospital.
drowning, west philadelphia, pennsylvania, philadelphia, local/state
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76 13 min ago
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police cruiser
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Pedestrian struck, killed by truck in Rhawnhurst
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Divers pull more bodies from sunken South Korean ferry