No A/C has Delco Courthouse feeling the heat
MEDIA, Pa. - July 19, 2011 (WPVI) -- You don't need me to tell you, but it is very hot outside!
It's certainly not a good time to lose your air conditioning, but that's exactly what occurred in Media when the Delaware County Courthouse literally lost its cool.
Court rules prohibited Action News from taking cameras inside, but a thermometer recorded temperatures from the mid 80s to 94 degrees in the courthouse.
Some staffers were moved to the adjoining government building that still had air conditioning. The rest were told to call it a day at 2:00 p.m.
The reason for the sweltering courthouse was due to an aging industrial sized chiller breaking down. Efforts to revive it were unsuccessful.
"They'd been working on in the afternoon, they thought they were able to bring it back up, but then the determination was made that they're not able to," Delaware County Executive Director Marianne Grace said.
A temporary portable chiller is being trucked in from Boston; some initial components arrived earlier today.
The temporary rig costs about $20,000 a month to lease. It will likely be in use several months until a permanent chiller is installed.
The plan is for the portable unit to be installed late Tuesday and everything will be cool, calm, and collected inside the courthouse tomorrow morning.
pennsylvania, delaware county, media, heat wave, local/state, john rawlins
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect 42 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Oil slick, debris not from missing Malaysia jet
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Court won't hear dispute over 'boobies' bracelets 15 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Are store credit cards worth the discount?
- Video: Skydiver's 'chute gets tangled in plane 46 min ago
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
42 min ago
- Skydiver's 'chute gets tangled in plane
46 min ago